How To: Sewing Ribbons Onto Demi Pointe & Pointe Shoes
What you will need:
- Pointe shoes
- Pointe ribbon
- Needle and thread (the Stitch Kit is particularly good as it is a waxed thread therefore it doesn’t break & doesn’t slip)
Preparing and sewing ribbons onto pointe shoes:
- Prepare ribbons by lightly melting the ends so they don’t fray with matches. (Be sure not to get soot on them)
- Fold the back of the shoe in, where the back of your heel would sit.
- Use the angle of the fold to guide where the ribbon will be placed.
- Place the back edge of the ribbon along the fold (on the inside of the shoe) and pin in place ( if you are using the ribbon with an elastic portion in it make sure the correct side is facing out)
- Check the position of ribbons is correct by putting the shoe on (be careful of the pins!). Place the foot flat and then en pointe and test the position by pulling the ribbons to check that the satin is held flat and not puckering.
- Once the placement is right you can start sewing the ribbons on. Sew small stitches all the way around the 4 edges of the ribbon, making a rectangle.
- Make sure you do not go all the way through the satin, but just catch a few threads of the canvas inside the shoe. You should not be able to see the stitches from the outside of the shoe.